Friday, October 27, 2006

only adds a year or two!?!

I'm overweight. About 12 years ago I went on Jenny Craig diet, lost a lot of weight and kept it off for two years. Then I hit an emotional sandbar and started gaining weight again. I'd like to take it off, but it's such hard work, and I don't want to do the work. I'd rather try to eat more healthy food, go vegan, and let my weight take care of itself.

It's nearing Halloween, so there's a lot of "strange" stories available. I saw this one on Reuters: Web Life: Want to diary your death? Ask online. (LINK is below.) The article is about different websites that asks you questions, then predicts your date of death.

The funniest one was from evil.berzerker.net: "Nancy: At age 73 while showing your work at a major art gallery, you will be accosted and later slain by PETA activists." Nice to know I'm going to show my work at a major art gallery!

Estimates ranged from death at age 73 to 94. But, I was also doing an experiment. On several of the sites, I did it honestly first, and then put in that I was at my optimum weight. That was the only change I made. Seems that working to lose weight only added one year to my life at one site, 2 years at another one, and 3 years at a third site. Not a big difference for all that work -- especially if you're in your 90s and the quality of your life isn't what it used to be.

Guess longevity isn't a good reason to lose weight. Quality of life with whatever years I have left is more important -- less pain, less medicine, less hospitalization.

No comments: